My Photo
Name:
Location: Near the deep south

I am just Diane, just a mom and a wife. I have 5 children that range in age from 18 down to 2. I am also feeling particularly crafty lately and have opened an etsy store. Please feel free to check it out. http://www.etsy.com/shop/Dianelynn2004

Friday, June 4, 2010

blog

Hello world.  My very first post about my sewing (and other crafty) adventures.  I must say, I didn't know I had it in me to sew.  A few years back I decided we needed to make a couple of pillows for our oldest daughters bed.  I needed something specific and didn't want to search the stores for what I needed.  When we took the sewing machine out...  I was lost.  The machine had been given to us by a neighbor.  After several attempts at trying to thread the darn thing, my HUSBAND had to come show me how to do it.  Then he had to sew the pillows.  I seriously had no idea what to do.
Fast forward to this year.  I had to have surgery which resulted in a little bit of downtime for me.  Downtime is really non existent in my life given that I have a 2 and 3 year old.  So during my downtime, I decided to fill some of it with crocheting.  I love to crochet, but again, time doesn't often lend itself to something that I like to do. When I was getting around a little better I decided to go to a Hancock store and proceeded to spend SEVERAL hours walking around and looking.  after my adventures, I wondered into the area with the sewing machines.  A woman (employee) was there sewing a little girls dress.  I struck up a conversation and she explained to me HOW EASY this dress was that she was making.  It really did look easy.  I thought to myself, "Self, if it is that easy, then for sure you can do it".  I was on a mission.  
I went home and took out the sewing machine (same one from years ago).  Oh... and I bought fabric while I was at Hancock too.  I was THAT sure I could do what she was doing.  For days I tried to do it.  For days I thought I must really be a moron.  I mean really, a complete idiot.  I told my husband that it must be the machine.  It was given to us, after all.  Maybe it was broken and she just decided to give it to us...  "Eh, just give it to Diane, she's a fricken idiot, she will never know".  It. must. be. the. machine.  I cannot possibly be THAT stupid.  So, for Mother's Day, the love of my life bought me a new, unbroken, fancy schmancy bee-utiful sewing machine.  I could not wait to get it home.  I could not wait to prove that it was the other machines fault that I could not sew.  I probably don't have to say any more.  I'm not going to.  You already know the punch line.  Operator.
I have however been able to make some nice things.  I have not mastered the skill that I was longing to.  One of these days.  In the mean time though, I have been having fun making a few dresses.  

Posted via email from craftyhands's posterous

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home